Johnson City offers a number of places with the best college deals and specials throughout the week. Like any student, budgets are a must, so here are a few restaurants to check out for that much needed relaxation and downtime.
For the connoisseurs:
1. Label: If you are looking for a restaurant with a nice patio and inviting atmosphere, Label is one to be sure to check out. Specials throughout the week include half off sushi weekdays at lunch, as well as Wednesday and Friday nights. If sushi isn’t your thing, the restaurant also offers chicken, steak and salads, although it is a little on the more pricey side. There are also $3 large domestic drafts and $5 select wine on Saturday.
2. Tupelo Honey Cafe: Tupelo Honey is known for its southern comfort home-style food. During Happy Hour, there are southern small plates that include fried green tomatoes, pecan encrusted goat cheese, Appalachian Johnny cakes and more. During happy hour, Monday through Thursday from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. there are $4 martinis.
3. Jack’s City Grill: For those of you who have never been to Jack’s, this restaurant has a fun and colorful environment. It has a variety of food from fajitas, steaks, wraps, fish to their famous buffalo burger to even a cactus burger. Jack’s is a great place to hang out plus it has a full bar. And for those of you who have been, Jack’s also has a Sunday Brunch with specials that could make anyone envious, including $2 mimosas, a variety of omelets and biscuits.
For the sippers:
4. Seven Hermanos: This restaurant offers so many specials throughout the week. To start off with a student ID, you receive a 10 percent discount. Next, Seven Hermanos has a free salsa bar with a lot to choose from. Also, if you go for their Tacos Tuesdays, you can get beef or chicken tacos for the grand total of $1. Seven Hermanos also has beer and margarita towers for those of you who are into that kind of thing.
5. Main Street Pizza: With a student ID, you can get unlimited cheese or pepperoni slices from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. During happy hour, which is Monday- Friday from 2 to 6 p.m., you can also get $2 domestic drafts and $3 craft drafts, well drinks and house wine. Main Street has any kind of pizza imaginable but if you are looking to stay on a budget, a suggestion is to stick with cheese or pepperoni.
6. Holy Taco Cantina: Holy Taco is located in the heart of Downtown Johnson City. Like many nearby restaurants, with a student ID you can also get 10 percent off food. Daily specials include $3.25 tacos, $3.75 tamales and $1 queso. There are also evening specials. Fridays include $3 margaritas and $2 Mexican beer.
For the budget munchers:
7. Miso Teriyaki House: Looking for something to do on a Monday or Tuesday night? Well, Miso’s has you covered. From half price sushi rolls on Mondays to teriyaki Tuesdays at 6 p.m., Miso’s has something to offer for everyone. Also, $2 pints start at 2 p.m. with local beers such as YeeHaw on tap.
8. Freiberg’s: This authentic German restaurant is known for its $4.99 lunch specials throughout the week. Here you can find entrees such as chicken schnitzel, bratwurst, sauer braten and more. For sides there are pretzels and beer cheese, sauerkraut and a personal favorite: bratkartoffeln, pan fried potatoes with onion and bacon.
9. Mid City Grill: After a late night out, Mid City is the perfect stop to end the night. If you are looking for a cheap price with large enough portions to share with a friend or just to eat by yourself, this is the place to come. Mid City offers sandwiches, burgers, fried cheese ravioli, cheese fries, pita pizza and more. You can also choose to bring your own beverage, if you would like.
10. Mellow Mushroom: Last but not least, if you are still craving pizza, another Monday night tradition is $1.25 Rolling Rock beer and $1 cheese slice. You can also add toppings to your pizza for .40 each. After 9 p.m., appetizers are half priced along with happy hour 2 for 1 well drinks, half off wine and $1 off all drafts. For beer lovers, you can even sign up for the beer club to receive points and prizes.